** Tax Season has begun! April 18 is this year’s filing deadline. Learn about filing changes that could affect when and how you get your refund**
LSSP’s Western North Carolina Low-Income Taxpayer Clinic serves all of North Carolina by offering tax controversy services to low-income taxpayers. Our attorneys are dedicated to helping taxpayers understand and manage their tax issues, regardless of language barriers.
LSSP provides low-income North Carolina taxpayers with representation in federal and state tax controversies and educates individuals about their rights and responsibilities as U.S. taxpayers.
Our services focus on:
1. Providing legal representation to low-income taxpayers who have existing tax controversies with the Internal Revenue Service and, in certain instances, the North Carolina Department of Revenue
2. Providing tax assistance and education to individuals who speak English as a second language
Our tax staff and volunteers accept many types of federal and state tax cases, such as cases involving:
- Collection issues, including Offers-in-Compromise, installment agreements and Currently-Not-Collectible status
- Examination, including audit reconsideration
- Earned Income Tax Credit
- Innocent and injured spouse claims
- Tax Court litigation
- Identity theft
- Cancellation of debt
- Employment classification
LSSP serves individuals and families who earn less than 250% of the federal poverty standard, including persons who speak English as a second language in the 38 westernmost counties of North Carolina, from Davidson County in the east to Cherokee County on the Tennessee and Georgia borders in the west.
The Western NC Low Income Taxpayer Clinic conducts community outreach and provides community legal education, including presentations and speaking engagements, to residents of eligible counties and to the staff of other agencies.
Volunteers and training
LSSP achieves its goals through the use of a panel of volunteer attorneys and other professionals in addition to its in-house legal staff. It also provides continuing legal education and training programs for its volunteer attorneys and attorneys who volunteer with other low-income taxpayer clinics.
The IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) works to assist low-income people with their tax returns free of charge. Find you if you qualify and schedule an appointment:
Access tax self-help resources here.