Charlotte Center for Legal Advocacy is dedicated to ending the debilitating cycle of poverty and helping local families gain the opportunity to build wealth and prepare for the future. And with many homeowners facing foreclosure and loss of property due to high-cost home loans; significant, unanticipated increases in original mortgage interest payments; drastic decreases in income due to increased unemployment; and a recessive economic environment, Charlotte Center for Legal Advocacy seeks to protect consumers from fraudulent practices that can take away a family home, income, and transportation.
Charlotte Center for Legal Advocacy’s consumer disputes and foreclosure assistance legal services seek to build financial security among low-income families by addressing abusive lending practices, protecting home and automobile ownership and assisting consumers who have been tricked or defrauded by a company.
Our services focus on:
1. Protecting and maintaining home ownership and preserving home equity through home foreclosure defense and loss mitigation efforts.
2. Targeting and preventing predatory and abusive lending practices aimed at the low-income population by teaching consumers how to avoid these pitfalls and increasing income and capital.
3. Preserving necessary transportation by stopping abusive and fraudulent used vehicle sales; financing and illegal repossessions.
4. Protecting consumers from abusive debt collection and debt buyer practices.
5. Preserving utility services.
6. Assisting consumers with problematic student loans, especially in the “for profit” school sector.
- Predatory lending practices
- Automobile financing, warranties and fraud
- Unfair and deceptive trade practices
- Unfair debt collection practices
- Problematic student loan issues
- Utility cut-offs
- Illegal car repossessions
- Senior and service member scams
- Foreclosure defense
- Home financing and mortgage service disputes
- Homeowner Association and tax foreclosures
- Reverse mortgage issues
- Heir and widow foreclosures
- Chapter 7 and 13 Bankruptcy to preserve home ownership and home equity
- Unfair and deceptive installment sales contracts/seller-financed home purchases
In additional to individual representation, Charlotte Center for Legal Advocacy enforces existing laws and advocates for improvements in consumer protection laws at local, state and national levels. Strategies include litigation, legislative advocacy in coordination with other agencies and community education to both the client community and to service providers. Charlotte Center for Legal Advocacy responds to questions and support requests from consumer advocates throughout the county and surrounding areas.
The population to be served includes low-income families and individuals, seniors and people living with disabilities, who are residents of Mecklenburg County. Charlotte Center for Legal Advocacy’s foreclosure defense work also includes eight surrounding counties: Gaston, Lincoln, Cabarrus, Iredell, Rowan, Stanly, Union and Catawba.
To qualify for Charlotte Center for Legal Advocacy’s general consumer protection and foreclosure services, you must earn less than 200% of the federal poverty standard.
Access consumer disputes and home preservation self-help resources here.