LSSP is dedicated to ending the debilitating cycle of poverty and helping local families gain the opportunity to build wealth and prepare for the future. And with many homeowners facing foreclosure and loss of property due to high-cost home loans; significant, unanticipated increases in original mortgage interest payments; drastic decreases in income due to increased unemployment; and a recessive economic environment, LSSP seeks to protect consumers from exploitive practices that can take away income, transportation and homes.
LSSP’s consumer disputes and foreclosure assistance legal services seeks to build financial security among low-income families by addressing abusive lending practices and protecting home and automobile ownership.
Our services focus on:
1. Building and preserving wealth in low-income families by:
- protecting home ownership by preventing foreclosures
- preserving home equity
2. Targeting and preventing predatory and abusive lending practices aimed at the low-income population by:
- teaching consumers how to avoid these pitfalls
- increasing income and capital
3. Preserving transportation necessary to keep working clients employed and providing unemployed workers the ability to work by:
- stopping predatory lending practices
- preventing automobile fraud
- Predatory lending practices
- Automobile financing, warranties and fraud
- Unfair and deceptive trade practices
- Unfair debt collection practices
- Student loan issues
- Credit repair
- Foreclosure defense
- Home financing and mortgage service disputes
- Chapter 7 and 13 Bankruptcy to preserve home ownership and home equity
LSSP enforces existing laws and advocates for improvements in consumer protection and employment law at local, state and national levels. Strategies include litigation, legislative advocacy in coordination with other agencies and community education to both the client community and to service providers. LSSP responds to questions and support requests from consumer advocates throughout the county and surrounding areas.
The population to be served includes low-income families and individuals, the elderly and disabled persons, who are residents of Mecklenburg County. LSSP’s consumer assistance also includes eight surrounding counties: Gaston, Lincoln, Cabarrus, Iredell, Rowan, Stanly, Union and Catawba.
To qualify for LSSP’s general consumer protection services, you must earn less than 200% of the federal poverty standard. To qualify for LSSP’s foreclosure assistance, you must earn less than 300% of the federal poverty standard.
Access consumer disputes and home preservation self-help resources here.