Get Covered America and Legal Services of Southern Piedmont
About the Fellowship
The #GetCoveredMecklenburg Fellowship is an opportunity for individuals to get real-world, on-the-ground experience with the implementation of the Affordable Care Act.
This fellowship is a two-part program:
- Part One August 15 – November 14, 2014: Fellows will work with Enroll America’s Charlotte-based Get Covered America campaign to participate in grassroots organizing and data collection. Fellows will work closely with Get Covered America staff, volunteers, and partners to get uninsured Americans up to speed on the opportunity to enroll in affordable, quality health insurance made available by the Affordable Care Act. Fellows will communicate with consumers about their new health coverage options, recruit and train volunteers on how to communicate with consumers about their new health coverage options, and collaborate with partners to conduct outreach and in-reach. This is a great opportunity for candidates who are strong communicators, and passionate about expanding access to health coverage. Fellows will also help our team generate lists and reports to help guide outreach activities, maintain data cleanliness, provide data training for volunteers and new staff, etc. This is a great opportunity for candidates with a strong understanding of Excel or other Data management systems.
- Part Two November 15 – February 15: Fellows will complete and pass the federal navigator certification process as soon as possible. Fellows can begin this training during part one of the fellowship program. Once certified, fellows will work with Legal Services of Southern Piedmont to conduct one-on-one enrollment appointments with consumers. Certified navigators will:
- Conduct education and outreach about the Affordable Care Act and Federally Facilitated Marketplaces (FFMs) to individuals in Mecklenburg County.
- Assist with individual applications for health insurance affordability programs including Qualified Health Plans (QHPs) on FFM, Medicaid and NC Health Choice.
- Facilitate enrollment in QHPs through one-on-one in person meetings with consumers.
- Help individuals understand premium tax credits, cost-sharing reductions and their potential financial impact.
- Facilitate plan selection based on the needs of the individual/family or the small business seeking health insurance coverage, assess tax implications and premium and cost-sharing requirements, application submission, and renewal processes.
- Provide referrals to appropriate agencies, including the North Carolina Department of Insurance for consumers with grievances, complaints or questions.
- Provide all information and services in a manner that is culturally and linguistically appropriate and ensure accessibility for individuals with disabilities.
- Stay up-to-date on new information from federal, state and local sources. Participate in ongoing trainings for navigators.
- Work with other local Navigators and In-Person Assisters at county-wide enrollment fairs.
During both phase one and two, all fellows will talk with consumers about the opportunity to enroll in new health coverage options made available by the Affordable Care Act and collaborate with partners to get the word out about the new health coverage options.
- Experience and/or interest in social work, public health, public policy, communications, or related field.
- Proficient in MS Office, including Word, Excel, Access, Power Point and Adobe PDF professional.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Ability to effectively collaborate with co-workers and clients face-to-face and in meeting settings.
- Part-time: 10 – 15 hours per week
- Full-time: 30 – 35 hours per week
How to apply:
- Submit an application online at: https://www.getcoveredamerica.org/summer-fellow/. In your answer to the application questions, indicate that you are applying for the #getcoveredmecklenburg fellowship.
- Applications will be evaluated on a rolling basis.
This is an unpaid position.
Enroll America (Get Covered America) is a nonprofit, nonpartisan 501(c)(3) organization focused on one goal: maximizing the number of Americans who are enrolled in and retain health coverage.
Legal Services of Southern Piedmont is a nonprofit agency that provides legal assistance in civil matters to low-income persons in Charlotte and Western North Carolina.